If you have decided to put a storm readiness plan together, these are the essentials items that you will need to consider as part of your storm plan.
Facility Checklists: The following suggestions should be part of a larger Storm Preparedness Plan that should be executed once the storm is imminent and the warning of severe weather has been issued.
- Site Preparation – Keeping your site clean is a must.
- Secure Site – Secure all tools, movable equipment, etc. so to avoid creating projectiles. Cover or remove dumpster and trash from the job site. Dismantle all wood or fences that could be lifted by high winds.
- Maintenance – Perform a complete full maintenance of all electrical and mechanical equipment. Identify precautions for equipment exposed to water or high humidity and procedures for restarting machinery and equipment.
- Backup Systems – Check and perform tune-ups of generators. Purchase extra batteries for all systems that utilize a backup battery system.
- Emergency Site Supplies – Check and maintain proper supply of sandbags, fans, generators and other items that may be needed during an emergency.
- High Reaching Equipment – Dismount and secure all scaffolding. Booms should be laid down if time permits or the load line hooked to the structure at some low point.
- Piping and Inlets – Protect all underground piping and underground drains to prevent any accumulation of debris inside. Confirm all storm water inlets and catch basins are free of any material that can lead to obstruction.
- Deliveries – Postpone any scheduled delivery at least two days after storm occurrence.
- Power – Disconnect all power lines and remove temporary connections susceptible to damage.